Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Her fortune cookie said she'd go far

Published Feb. 26, 2007

Something wasn't right.
Guang was working the counter at my favorite Chinese restaurant, the Hunan Wok.
He never works the counter. He is usually cooking while his wife, Mengxiao (pronounced Michelle), rings up my order.
Many times, their daughters, Milly, 15, and Xing, 11, are up front helping Mengxiao.
But the girls and their mom were nowhere around. It was only Guang and he was trying to tell me something. He was really animated, really excited.
But, I couldn't quite understand him.
I caught a word here and there. College. No work. Here too much.
I was trying to figure out what he was saying when, suddenly, he pointed behind me.
A van had pulled up out front and Mengxiao was driving.
So, I took my General Tso chicken and seafood and garlic sauce and went outside. Mengxiao will tell me what Guang is so excited about, I thought.
I walked over to the driver side window. Mengxiao looked different. She was all dressed up. I have spoken to her many times so I can understand her better than her husband.
"I don't work here much any more," she told me. "I got another job. I'm working in Human Services.
"And I'm going to college," she said.
She was so happy.
By this time, Guang had come outside and was peering through the passenger window at us.
He was beaming and nodding his head vigorously as Mengxiao told me about going to school. The pride he had in her and her excitement about going to school put a lump in my throat. I was as excited for her as they were.
"It's real hard - especially English composition - because I speak English as a second language," Mengxiao told me.
"But, I got an A on my first paper - and that is good because it gives me confidence," she said.
Guang and Mengxiao have worked very hard to make their restaurant a success. Guang came to the United States in 1992 from China. Mengxiao joined him here in 1993. Until recently, the restaurant was open seven days a week. Now they are closed on Mondays but they still work 60-hour weeks.
Until Mengxiao got another job.
She has been working for Human Services since October.
"I did it for two reasons. We needed medical insurance and I also wanted to broaden my experience," she said.
And that is the reason she went back to school, too.
She took English-as-a-second-language courses in 1995 but had to quit because she had to work in the restaurant.
"I went back there now because I want to be a social worker. My major is human services. It is my personality to want to help people," the 36-year-old Mengxiao said.
About an hour after I talked to Mengxiao, my cell phone rang.
"Patti, I just have to tell you one more thing. Mary Miller is my tutor. She has been coming to my house every Tuesday since 1997. I have to tell you about her, about how much she helped me."
Mengxiao said the real estate agent who sold them their house in 1997 recommended Miller to her.
"She taught me English. She taught me how to read a newspaper. She doesn't have to teach me English so much anymore but we still get together every week for lunch or something," Mengxiao said.
It was one of those times in life when I realize how much I take for granted. I sent my sons to college as if it was their God-given right and they went as if it was no big deal.
But it is a big deal.
I could see it in the eyes of this woman and her husband who was so proud of her he could have burst.

No comments: