Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Opposite of fast food? That'd be hurka

Published in The Chronicle Feb. 4, 2008

Some people have stories about their ancestors picking up muskets and going out into the wilderness to hunt for food.
Me? I have stories about my ancestors picking up a meat-grinder and going into the basement to make sausage.
My grandparents had a very limited list of things they would eat, mostly things familiar to Eastern Europeans that you couldn’t find in an A&P, a Stop&Shop or a Pick ’n’ Pay.
Things such as a Hungarian rice sausage called hurka (pronounced who’d-kuh), which was made with pork shoulder, onions and rice -- and other things you probably don’t want to know about.
My grandparents made their own hurka because shadier sausage-makers used ingredients not to their liking – things such as pig snouts and ears.
None of that for my grandparents. They only wanted the “good” stuff – things such as pig livers and lungs.
Scary as that sounds, it was good stuff.
And unfortunately, when my grandparents died, so did the hurka making. It is just too much trouble.
These days, the only time we get hurka is when my parents order some from a local Hungarian church and share it with us. My dad brought some over last week.
When my grandparents made hurka, it was quite an operation -- an operation that would never be done in a kitchen. The grease and the mess made it no job for a spotless Hungarian kitchen.
That’s why my grandparents had a second stove in the basement where grease and mess belong. It was in a small room off the basement TV room.
If you are old enough, you probably remember those basement TV rooms people had before there were family rooms. They contained furniture and TVs deemed no longer good enough for the living room.
It was in this big TV room that the actual sausage-making took place.
Along one wall was a long table that my grandfather had fashioned out of plywood and scrap lumber. It was covered with a vinyl tablecloth that was thumb-tacked under the edge.
On that table was the sausage-maker, a heavy metal appliance that looked something like a meat-grinder only bigger. Next to the sausage-maker was a pan filled with water in which sausage casings – another thing you don’ really want to know about -- were soaking.
The cooked rice and meat products were brought from the stove to this table where the meat was ground, mixed with the rice, seasoned and loaded into the sausage casings.
My grandfather would take a sausage casing out of the water and push it onto the sausage maker spigot the same way pantyhose are gathered on your foot before you pull them up your leg.
Then he would crank the machine and the sausage mixture would slowly fill the casing. My grandmother would guide the plump link, pull it off and curl it into a ring. She’d place the ring on a tray to await packaging in white butcher paper. They would repeat the process until they ran out of mixture or ran out of casings, whichever came first.
And then my grandmother would bake some of the hurka in a cast iron skillet in the oven for any helpers -- or kids who were hanging around.
Mmm, I can almost smell it cooking.
Wait, I can smell it cooking.
I put some in the oven – and I think it’s just about done.

3 comments:

karl said...

This story brought back lots of good memories. It was always a treat going to my grandmother's house for rice ring (she called it rice ring rather than rice sausage, but still the same thing). Another type she would serve was called kolbas (sp?) which was basically a mild type of kielbasi. Both were made by a Hungarian church in southeast Lorain and we always kept track of when they were making and selling both of these. I can remember people coming to the church to pick up their sausage and getting it in cooler-loads (and I'm talking the large coolers on wheels, not the small ones). My cousins would also drive down from New York to supposedly visit gram, but it was amazing how their trips always coincided with the church's sale weekend. Anyway, please post what church sold the rice ring so I can contact them as to when the next sale will be. Would love to get some good homemade rice ring. Great column, brought back lots of good memories.

karl said...

Forgot one other comment. Remember that lovers of sausage and the law should never watch either being made!

Mark said...

So I was just looking up the spelling of Hurka as I was eating some leftover Hurka for lunch , and I spotted this Blog . Still very available in Toledo Ohio too ! Try Takacs Meats www.takacsgroceryandmeats.com
Growing up in a Ethnic Hungarian neighborhood , it was a staple ! Enjoy